A compiled guide to setting up Subsonic Music Server on Mac OS 10.8.2 from the beginning till the end.
Follow this 3 parts of guide to download like a pro!
A tutorial that teaches you to export high quality video using the highest compression for uploading to YouTube, all using Final Cut Pro X
Friday, May 24, 2013
Monday, April 15, 2013
Overall it cost me NTD 9410 (~RM 956) for all the items in the box and NTD 980 (~RM99) for Metal Gear Solid (US) and NTD 145 (~RM147)for Persona The Golden (JP).
The price for the console is actually NTD 9410 - NTD 2750 (the actual price for 32GB memory card (free due to promotion event by SEN in Taiwan) - NTD 580 for the 365 PSN Card (free) - NTD 190 for the AR Card) (free) = NTD 5890 (~RM598).
So here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Following the instruction below to get the network connection working in Android x86 4.0 RC (eecpc version) on VirtualBox.
Several shortcut that you should know:
Alt+F1 : Enter terminal mode
Alt+F7 : Return to the GUI
1. Before starting your Android x86 VM, open up your terminal and enter the following. This will create a NAT rule:
2. Make sure the network is set as NAT. I've tried Bridged Networking but no avail.
3. Start up your VM and wait until it is boot up. Then enter terminal mode by pressing Alt+F1.
4. Type netcfg to make sure the interface is up and running. Try to send a ping to your default gateway and it should be successful.
5. Enter the following to use the Google DNS. You can use your own DNS server too.
6. Return to GUI mode and you can now start to browse the Internet!
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Luckily there was a Thailand guy that had cracked all the DLCs and kind enough to share it with the rest of the world. Follow the instructions below to download the DLCs at zero $!
1. Grab the link here: http://www.putlocker.com/file/5D88BBF3D2E5B1F5
2. SSH into your iOS devices and find the folder for the game under the /private/var/mobile/Applications directory.
* Since the folders are named using a unique ID such as 0BE5D130-0EDF-4A42-B287-3BAD56C7575B, you might find it difficult to find the correct folder. You can do this in either the quick or slow way.
Slow way: Open each of the folder until you see tffencore.app.
Quick way: Removing the game from your device and then re-intall it. After that sort the folders by Date. The folder for the game should now be located at the top.
3. After pinpointing the folder, copy all the files from the downloaded archive into each of the directory.
4. Make sure that you change the group owner to mobile instead of root after copying for all of the folders copied. This is to make sure that your game progress will be saved when you exit the game.
Q&AWhy my game progress for Final Fantasy Theatrhythm did not save whenever I quit the game?
It is because you haven't set the correct group owner for the DLCs files. Follow step 4 to solve this problem.
$ sudo vi "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/vmnet8/nat.conf"'
[incomingtcp] 3128 = 192.168.19.69:3128
E.g. I want to forward the client request from port 3128 into a web server running on VM using port 3128.
Typically you will need to restart the VM for the effect to take changes. Another solution is just restarting the NAT service by executing the following command:
sudo "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli" [--stop|--start]
Sunday, October 21, 2012
- Guide to setting up transcoding.
- Changing the subsonic source code and compile.
Subsonic (or Subsonic Music Streamer) is an open source media player server that allows even normal user to share their multimedia files online. The following tutorial is prepared to guide you to fresh install SubSonic mods such as MusicCabinet and Madsonic on Mac OS X. The setup is done on a Mountain Lion 10.8.2 system.
At the end of this tutorial you will:
- Have a Subsonic streaming server setup on your Mac.
- Setup Subsonic registration engine so that other user can register without manually creating the users.
- Java 7
- Tomcat 6
You will have to download the installer from Oracle to install the latest Java 7 as it is not distributed by Apple.
NOTE: The latest Java version distributed by Apple is Java 6, which doesn’t meet the minimum requirements of Subsonic.
The mods might comes with two distribution, namely:
- Standalone - Bundle together with Jetty Web Server. This is the easiest deployment.
- WAR (Web Archive) format - To be deployed on a Java Web Server such as Tomcat. More complicated.
Method 1 - Standalone Deployment (e.g. Music Cabinet)1. Download the latest standalone deployment here at http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
2. Extract it to somewhere convenient, e.g. /Desktop and change your working directory there
3. The archive file normally have name such as subsonic-installer-standalone which contains files such as subsonic.war, subsonic-booter-jar-with-dependencies.jar, subsonic.bat (startfup script for windows) and subsonic.sh (startup script for *NIX/Mac)
4. Before launching the startup script, you will need to assign +x rights to the subsonic.sh file.
5. Create a new directory called /subsonic under /var/ and assign the ownership to it. This directory is used to store subsonic database and log files.
$ sudo chown dsync /var/subsonic
6. Launch the script by entering:
7. Access the page by going to http://localhost:4040. You should see a login page.
8. Log in using the default admin account using ‘admin’ for both the username and password.
9. You should see a getting started page that require you to have a Postgre database setup. Proceed here install Postgre if you haven’t got it setup.
10. After setting it up, click on the Configure System. You will be asked to enter a password for the user ‘postgres’. The default password is ‘postgres’ if you installed it using the installation guide on step 8. Otherwise enter the password that you supplied when installing PostgreSQL.
11. That’s it, you’re done.
Method 2 - WAR deployment using TomcatCurrently it is stated in the site that Subsonic only works well on Tomcat version 6. So this tutorial will proceed to install with Tomcat 6.
1. Refer to the guide (http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7)
2. To start the server, simply type:
3. To check which JRE that Tomcat is running, enter (http://localhost:8080) and click the Manager.
4. By default, there isn’t any user created to access the manager interface. You will need to create it by editing:
Then paste the following code just above the '<'/tomcat-users'>'. This will create a user with the name ‘tomcat’ and password ‘s3cret’.
<user password="s3cret" roles="manager-gui" username="tomcat">
5. Now click the Status and make sure the JVM running is 1.7+. If it is running on version 1.6.x or below, refer here.
6. After making sure that Tomcat is running using JVM version 1.7.x, move the .war file to the following path:
7. Restart and run the server again. If all goes well you will see the page loading at http://localhost:8080/subsonic
Installing PostgreSQL 9.2There are two ways of installing it, one is to directly using the .pkg installer found on Postgre official site. The second one is through MacPorts. This tutorial will cover the second method:
1. Update to the latest MacPorts version. Go grab a coffee because this will take up quite some time.
$ sudo port –v install postgresql92-server
2. Create the initial database for Music Cabinet:
$ sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db
$ sudo su postgres –c ‘/opt/local/lib/postgresql92/bin/initdb –D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql92/musiccabinet
3. To run the server manually:
NOTE: The default user created is ‘postgres’ with the same password ‘postgres’.
TroubleshootingHow to increase Postgre maximum connection number?
NOTE: Proceed only if you see any FATAL ERROR: too many clients already in the terminal.
If you wish to increase the maximum connection number of Postgre from the default value of 20 to a higher number, the SHMMAX read by the kernel need to be increased as well.
You can check the current SHMMAX value by your running kernel by issuing
and then you will find the following which is the default.
To increase this value, you will need to create a file under /etc/sysctl.conf and enter the following lines as recommended by Postgre README file for MBP 2GB RAM. The purpose of creating the file is so that the changes made will be persistent each time you reboot the system.
How to Set Java Path to Java 7
1. Go to /Applications/Utilities and select Java Preferences.
2. Drag and drop Java SE 7 so that it is located at the top.
By doing so, your system is now configured to use JRE 7 as its priority and will only fallback if the Java application doesn’t support it.
3. In the terminal, type
4. This should return with a path such as
5. To include this as the $JAVA_PATH:
NOTE: Using the following command would not register JAVA 7 because the latest Java 7 is not distributed by Apple, instead it is by Oracle.
How to integrate PHP-CGI and Tomcat 6
1. Download php-cgi from MacPorts.
2. Add the following lines into /TOMCAT_DIR/conf/web.xml.
3. Follow the instructions here.
4. After extracting the files, put both JavaBridge.jar and php-servlet.jar into /TOMCAT_DIR/lib
5. Open context.xml found under the /TOMCAT_DIR/conf/
6. Append the following line to the Context header.
<!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
<!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat restarts -->
<Manager pathname="" />
<!-- Uncomment this to enable Comet connection tacking (provides events
on session expiration as well as webapp lifecycle) -->
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.CometConnectionManagerValve" />
FAQ1. Where is the Subsonic log file?
A. It is located under /var/subsonic.
2. Where is Tomcat Log file?
A. It can be found under /tomcat dir/logs. It is very useful to troubleshoot why a page refuses to load.
3. How to increase Tomcat heap size to prevent OutOfMemory error?
Type the following command in the terminal.
Additional Setup1. Subsonic Registration Engine - http://www.schattorie.com/subsonic-registration-engine/
2. Hiding server status and usage to public user - http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8040&p=36224&hilit=hide#p36224
A. Subsonic Registration Engine
1. Follow the instruction here.
2. Extract and put the file into /TOMCAT_DIR/webapps.
3. Make some necessary changes to the following files:
Change the domain name into your subsonic address.
Contains the format of the mail received by the user when they reset their password.
Contains the format of the mail received by the user when they register.
Add the following to login.jsp so that it will display both the register and forgot password link.
<td align="left"><br><a href="http://musicscrape.zapto.org:8080/register/register.php" >Register</a>
<br><a href="http://musicscrape.zapto.org:8080/register/forgotpass.php">Forgot password</a></td>
<!-- REGISTER END -->
- Installing PostgreSQL9.2 on OS X Mountain Lion - http://phlippers.net/blog/2012/08/03/install-postgresql-9-dot-2-on-os-x-mountain-lion/
- Postgres Max Connections and Shared Buffers - http://gabe.grayum.name/?p=postgres_max_connections_and_shared_buffers
- FATAL: could not created shared memory segment - http://grokbase.com/t/postgresql/pgsql-general/12a76zj50s/mac-os-x-mountain-lion-fatal-could-not-create-shared-memory-segment-cannot-allocate-memory
- Installing TomCat 7.0.x on OS X - http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/tomcat7
- Setting JAVA_HOME on Mac OS X 10.5 - http://www.mehtanirav.com/2008/09/02/setting-java_home-on-mac-os-x-105/
- Installing Java 7 on Mac OS X - http://www.vineetmanohar.com/2011/03/installing-java-7-on-mac-os-x/
- MusicCabinet - http://dilerium.se/musiccabinet/#installation
- Serve PHP with Tomcat - http://www.thomasknierim.com/140/java/serve-php-with-tomcat/
This service is provided so that I can listen to music anywhere in the campus, but due to the usage of IPv6 I had decided to allow access to the public too. Don't abuse it.
Visit the site at http://musicscrape.zapto.org:8080.