Following the instruction below to get the network connection working in Android x86 4.0 RC (eecpc version) on VirtualBox.
Several shortcut that you should know:
Alt+F1 : Enter terminal mode
Alt+F7 : Return to the GUI
1. Before starting your Android x86 VM, open up your terminal and enter the following. This will create a NAT rule:
VBoxManage modifyvm "Your Android VB name" --natpf1 adb,tcp,*,5555,*,5555
Alternatively, you could also add the NAT rule manually using the GUI.
Select your VM and click the Settings button at the toolbar.
Select Port Forwarding and add the following rules as shown.
2. Make sure the network is set as NAT. I've tried Bridged Networking but no avail.
3. Start up your VM and wait until it is boot up. Then enter terminal mode by pressing Alt+F1.
4. Type netcfg to make sure the interface is up and running. Try to send a ping to your default gateway and it should be successful.
5. Enter the following to use the Google DNS. You can use your own DNS server too.
setprop net.dns1 126.96.36.199
6. Return to GUI mode by pressing Alt+F7 and you can now start to browse the Internet!